EPISODE 37 | Turning Disordered Eating Into A Business
For many, sharing your own very personal and private experiences can feel super vulnerable and confronting. Or maybe you don’t feel as though you are “perfect” yet, so how could you possibly offer value or experience to others? Yet as I remind you time and time again, it’s your personal story and experience that your ideal client will resonate and connect with. It’s your story that will make people choose you over the many other health practitioners out there. But how do you actually turn your personal story and experiences into a profitable business?
I invited Samantha Skelly to join me to share her own journey of healing from disordered eating and lack of self-love and how she evolved from sharing her story with friends and eventually turning it into an international business (she thought she was going to be a real estate agent!)
We talk about how to know what to share and what to keep for yourself as well as the difference between using vulnerability as a tactic vs. being natural and authentic.
Sam has some amazing stories and advice to share, no matter what your niche or business is. If you are still finding it challenging to connect with your ideal clients, this will be a MUST listen. And you’ll be surprised (or maybe not) to find out what percentage of clients in her Hungry for Happiness program are health professionals just like you!
More About Samantha:
Samantha Skelly is an entrepreneur, motivational speaker, best-selling author, and emotional eating expert who has revolutionized the weight-loss industry by examining the individual and underlying causes of eating disorders. Sam is the founder and CEO of Hungry for Happiness – a movement of women dedicated to ending the fight with food and their bodies by addressing the underlying causes of emotional eating. Sam knows first hand that when we heal our connection to our bodies and re-establish trust in ourselves we realize our problems have very little to do with food.
Listen to Episode 37 below:
What We Talk About In This Episode:
- Samantha’s healing and health journey
- How she began sharing her story and how it eventually turned into a business
- Why you should always share from a scar and not a wound
- Why you don’t have to wait until you’re “fixed” to start helping others
- How to build your business on your story
- Why you need to keep running and refining your ONE signature program
- The undercover shame and secrecy in the health world around food issues
- How to know the difference between numbing and enhancing
- Why if the people we hold on a pedestal were honest it’d be so different. Don’t trust the perfect, shiny gurus.
- How to be honest and show people that it’s possible to change by showing your vulnerabilities and realities of your life.
Things We Mention In This Episode:
- Free Resource: Create a Signature Program in Under 60 Days
- Hungry for Happiness – One Woman’s Journey From Fighting Food To Finding Freedom: How To End Binge Eating, Forever by Samantha Skelly
- The Society – Hungry for Happiness
- Continuing Education Opportunity: Hungry for Happiness Coaches Certification Program
- The Wellness Business Summit
- Philip McKernan
Here’s How To Subscribe & Leave A Review (pretty-please):
Want to get notified when I release new episodes so you don’t miss a thing? Click here to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.
And it would mean the world to me if you’d leave a rating and review. I’d love to know what you think of the podcast and how I can make it better for you. Plus iTunes tells me that podcast reviews are really important and the more reviews the podcast has the easier it will be to get the podcast in front of more people, which is the ultimate goal. You can leave a review right here.
Let’s Keep The Conversation Going…
Do you feel vulnerable in sharing your own personal journey and struggles with others? Would you love to turn your past into a successful business? Have you ever felt “not-good-enough” to either start your own business or fully promote yourself and your program? I would love to hear all about it and I’m sure others would too.
You can also join my free online community to connect with more than 8000 other health practitioners just like you to ask questions, share wins and struggles and get lots of support from me and my team! I hope to see you there.