Today is part 1 of a two part series all about hiring and training your first team member. Now, if you already work with team members don’t disqualify yourself here, this will still be helpful for you too.
Ok, tell me if this sounds familiar to you — you wake up and do work. You work all day. Then you eat dinner and work some more. You can’t take on any more clients or grow your business any further because you are tapped out or don’t have the specific skill set and you need to sleep at least 7 hours a night.
You want to grow your business and know it’s time to add someone to your team but you’re at a loss for how to do that. Or maybe you’ve hired a contractor or agency and the experience hasn’t gone as planned.
You, my friend, are not alone. So take a deep breath in and then let it out… I’ve got you.
Over the last decade I’ve learned a lot about growing a team and currently work with a team of 8 – 15 people depending on the project. Believe me, when I first became a registered holistic nutritionist I had no idea that I even had a business let alone the skills to hire, train and fire.
Bringing on team members is a big deal, and necessary if you want to grow a business because you can’t and shouldn’t have the mindset or the expectation that you can do it all yourself.
That’s faulty logic that will get you nowhere except maybe burnt out. I went through my own journey with burnout and adrenal fatigue a couple of years ago and it’s a long road back! So check out Episode 20 with Jenn Pike for the strategie she used with me to help regain some balance… and learn to prioritize my health!
I’ve created sample job descriptions that you can download, customize and use as you see fit so make sure you download them from the link below – they’ll be super helpful for you.
There’s a lot to cover so without further adieu let’s dive into part 1 of this 2 part mini-series about hiring and training team members!
Let’s dive in!
In This Episode I Share…
- How to avoid making all the mistakes I made when starting out and all the lessons I learned as a result
- How to know when you are ready to hire your first team member (hint: it might be before you can afford it!)
- My step by step process that covers everything from what tasks you should delegate, figuring out how much you can afford to pay them, how to choose where your team member is located and how to write a job description (that will get you the perfect person for the job)
- The first two jobs that I suggest hiring someone to take over (so you can stay in your bubble of happiness and zone of genius). You can download the sample job descriptions for those positions HERE
- The different platforms I have used to find my indispensable virtual assistants
- The nitty gritty on what I pay my main assistant an hour
- What factors to consider when making the final decision on who to hire
Listen to Episode 66 Below:
Things We Mention In This Episode:
- Sample Job Descriptions (to be customized for your own business)
- Ready to take your biz to the next level? Book a Free Launch Audit Call today!
- Kijiji (local)
- Fiverr (where many offers start at $5)
- Follow Lori for more business insight on Instagram
Here’s How To Subscribe & Leave A Review (pretty-please):
Want to get notified when I release new episodes so you don’t miss a thing? Click here to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.
And it would mean the world to me if you’d leave a rating and review. I’d love to know what you think of the podcast and how I can make it better for you. Plus iTunes tells me that podcast reviews are really important and the more reviews the podcast has the easier it will be to get the podcast in front of more people, which is the ultimate goal. You can leave a review right here.
Let’s Keep The Conversation Going…
Have you hired the first member of your team yet? Are you feeling overwhelmed and burnt out and would love help but you’re holding back for some reason? Pop it below or visit me on Instagram (my current social platform of choice) and send me a message there to let me know what you want to hear more about.
You can also join my free online community to connect with more than 11 000 other health and wellness professionals just like you to ask questions, share wins and struggles and get lots of support from me and my team! We have a ton of free, live training coming up in the group this fall. I hope to see you there.