If I had a quarter for every time someone in my community used the word overwhelm to describe how they were feeling, my piggy bank would be bursting at the seems! But that also hurts my heart, because although building and growing your online health business is A LOT, it doesn’t have to be overwhelming and it certainly doesn’t have to burn you out.
In this episode I’m joined by Dr. Samantha Brody who is a licensed naturopathic physician and recently published author of the book, Overcoming Overwhelm: Dismantle Your Stress From the Inside Out to share with you some very specific strategies and tips she uses with her clients and in her own life to overcome overwhelm.
She reminds us that one of the first steps is to get really clear on our values and what is truly important to us so that we can reframe things and keep more perspective on where to give our energy and time.
Even if you think you’ve heard it all on this topic, I encourage you to listen as Dr. Samantha provides a fresh take on mindset, stress and overcoming overwhelm. Be sure to share it with friends and family that need to hear this message too. You can download an excerpt from her book HERE as well as the FREE Values Worksheet she mentions during the interview HERE.
More About Dr. Samantha Brody
Dr. Samantha Brody is a licensed naturopathic physician and acupuncturist in Portland Oregon. She also runs a virtual arm of her business doing coaching and consulting with clients across the globe. Dr. Samantha writes for a variety of publications and has been quoted in media outlets including the Los Angeles Times, Wall Street Journal, HuffPost, and Shape. She is the author of Overcoming Overwhelm: Dismantle Your Stress from the Inside Out (Sounds True, January 2019).
In This Episode We Talk About…
- Dr. Samantha talks about her practice in Oregon as well as the online portion of her practice
- What prompted her to write her book
- The difference between managing stress and overcoming overwhelm
- How to decrease your overall stress load
- The idea that we’re all born with different size “buckets” and how we can expand the size of those buckets and decrease what is in the bucket.
- Boundaries – how to stop being a YES machine with a script of how to give yourself time to think
- How to open yourself up to a new way of thinking and what you have control over
- Why it’s SO important to determine your true north values and how to figure them out – download the free worksheet created by Dr. Samantha
- Strategies and tips to shift your thinking and decrease your load
- Why overwhelm isn’t a word in Lori’s vocabulary
- Self care vs. stress management techniques – self care is specific to your values
- What Lori feels self care is for her
- Managing realistic expectations
- Why it’s ok to sometimes take the easy way out
- How working with a coach can help you get clarity on your truth north and the decisions you’re making
- Be clear on what’s most important and then what do to from there.
Listen to Episode 90 below:
Things We Mention In This Episode:
- Dr. Samantha’s book – Overcoming Overwhelm: Dismantle Your Stress From the Inside Out
- Download Dr. Samantha’s Values Worksheet from Chapter 4 in her book
- Download a FREE excerpt of Dr. Samantha’s book HERE
- The Wellness Business Summit
For more on how Lori deals with feelings of overwhelm be sure to listen to Episode 38: The 3 Keys to Getting Out of Overwhelm
Here’s How To Subscribe & Leave A Review (pretty-please):
Want to get notified when I release new episodes so you don’t miss a thing? Click here to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes.
And it would mean the world to me if you’d leave a rating and review. I’d love to know what you think of the podcast and how I can make it better for you. Plus iTunes tells me that podcast reviews are really important and the more reviews the podcast has the easier it will be to get the podcast in front of more people, which is the ultimate goal. You can leave a review right here.
Let’s Keep The Conversation Going…
How does overwhelm show up for you? What strategies do you use to move through it? Let me know below or visit me on Instagram (my current social platform of choice) and send me a message there to let me know what you want to hear more about (I respond to all Instagram DMs personally – promise!)
You can also join my free online community to connect with more than 12 000 other health and wellness professionals just like you to ask questions, share wins and struggles and get lots of support from me and my team! We have a ton of free, live training coming up in the group this fall. I hope to see you there.